Friday, February 21, 2014

The Mother of Sore Bottoms!

While I was making dinner Jonah started fussing more and more until he was uncontrollably crying.  Oddly, he screamed even harder when I picked him up to console his tortured little soul.  Sitting at the table seemed to make him even worse, and he refused to eat.  (This is very alarming!)  I suspected some sort of stomach upset and made him sit through dinner before we went up for bath... and found a huge rash in his diaper area.  It was so bad he couldn't even sit in the tub without howling!  I felt so terrible, particularly in the knowledge that picking him up under the bum and sitting him on my lap were causing him pain.

After a little research and a visit to his pediatrician, we finally concluded that the diaper rash was caused by the grapes and raisins we had for snack earlier in the day.  The acidic foods caused a chemical burn on his sensitive little tush.  It's happened before once or twice on rare occasion, though usually smaller and less severe.  I'm so relieved to know the cause so I can help prevent future outbreaks of such a terrible rash.