Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Little Desperation and Induction!

Certain I would never be able to focus on work - or just not caring to try, I took the day off to relax.  And perform some final acts of desperation to encourage our 12-day overdue baby to get moving.   I really, really, really wanted contractions to start naturally so that we could labor at home.  And I would feel better knowing baby was ready to come out, rather than forcing him before his time.

To pass the day our neighbor, Ann, and I drove to La Patisserie for some of their famed Labor-Inducing cream cheese, drove some bumpy roads and ended with hot wings from Wegmans. To no avail.

Drew and I casually, and a little timidly, made our way to St. V's for our 6:30 appointment for induction. Somehow, in scheduling an appointment I felt less ready than if the contractions had prevailed like an incessant alarm.  Or so I thought - it's hard to say without having experienced natural labor.  I digress.  It was nothing like the ride we expected.  We had done several "drills" to practice a fireman-like response time and expected a tedious ride through strong contractions.  Instead, I could have driven myself.  It's just as well we weren't in a hurry, because neither was the woman at registration...


We checked into a private room at the end of the hall, though it wasn't until 10pm that I was started on a 12-hr dose of Cervadil - a drug intended to help "ripening" to increase the chances of successful induction.  It was difficult to get a good night's rest with the effects of the medication, which sent me into a weird cloud of soreness, the required monitoring, and the constant fussing of nurses.  I should have taken the Ambien!