With sad hearts we laid Starbuck to rest under the old spruce in the backyard. Starbuck had a wonderfully long life and was well loved. We will all miss her!
Jonah took the news pretty well, or maybe it just wasn't quite as I expected. He did a fantastic job of trying to cheer Daddy up by telling him: "I have an idea! We can go to the pet store and get a NEW ferret! Or you don't have to get a ferret... you could get a cat or a dog if you want to. Is that a good idea?" Later, when Dad was outside digging the grave it seemed to sink in a bit with a tearful, but assertive: "I don't want Starbuck to be buried! After nap I'm going to go outside and dig her up!"
Perhaps I should have been concerned by this display of hurt, but rather, I was strangely relieved that he showed some emotion over the matter. I do hope telling the truth was the right thing to do.