Friday, April 25, 2014

Back In Step

Jonah and I are back to our summer exercise regimen, which means we are out running instead of at the gym.  It's been nice to see how easily I've been able to pick it back up after the winter break.  After only 4 outings in 3 weeks, we're up to 6 miles!  I'm particularly proud that today we did 6 miles in 11min splits, which is a huge improvement over Tuesday's pace of 13min/mile.

It occurs to me that the music may have had something to do with it.  On our last run, I decided to try out the "Rock My Run" app, which allows you to buffer playlists for your run.  We tried three difference DJs, and all were terrible mixes.  And if I had to hear "you're rocking to DJ ____!" one more time, I was going to scream.  After that failure, I decided to invest $7.99 in an iTunes compilation called "110 Running Songs".  It is a great mix of oldies, 80s and current pop music that kept me going strong!   And it sure beats my random collection of Josh Groban and musicals... which don't always make for a very upbeat tempo.

Now that I've upgraded to a smartphone, I'm also enjoying the "Map My Run" app.  Compared with mapping my course out of curiosity of how far I ran, it is instant gratification!