I had discovered the magic to maintaining a high metabolism and low weight: breastfeeding! Imagine, hundreds of food calories burned without a bit of effort. If I could package and sell the idea on an infomercial, I'd be rich. (Maybe an appearance on Shark Tank is in order?) Having nearly expunged all exercise habits in the cold months, I still managed to maintain a nice size 4. Yes, a four! That's a full 10lbs and two sizes smaller than pre-Jonah, thank you very much! Back in the fall I treated myself to a shopping spree when I realized how incredibly frumpy my old, worn and over-sized pants looked.
So you can imagine how resistant I was to giving up breastfeeding all together. Not to mention how much I enjoy the quiet snuggle time with my son. So the dates keep getting pushed back. At first I was going to wean Jonah at 12mo (we did get rid of daytime feedings), then at 15mo (I dropped the morning feeding), then I thought we could keep the nighttime ritual through 18mo. But tonight that all changed. Jonah was suckling before bed, though the milk had been depleted for a good 10 minutes. I asked if he was all done and Jonah held up a finger: "one more minute, Mommy!" Daddy pointed out that when you are having a conversation with your child about breastfeeding, it is probably time to stop. And so it is.