Tuesday, November 5, 2013

iPad IT

The American Academy of Pediatrics recently reaffirmed their stance that no screen time is healthy for a child under 2.  Fine.  But a couple minutes allow Mommy to shower and dress in peace!  That is healthy for the whole family.  We have the PBS Kids app on the old iPad and I let Jonah browse videos on occasion for sanity's sake.  He's gotten much better at watching rather than touching the screen constantly.

Today the app was on the fritz and had trouble connecting.  Poor Jonah sat and patiently watched the bee buzz in circles for almost 5 minutes, waiting for his show to start.  When he finally gave up, his manner of troubleshooting was remarkably similar to what I would have done.  I watched as he first tried a different show, then closed the app and opened it again.  When none of this worked, I finally helped him turn off the iPad and restart it.  Presto!  Still, I'm sure that once he can hold the power button for 10 sec., he should qualify for a job in IT.

After all this mess, it occurred to me to download a few other apps for him to try.  I filled a screen with what are advertised as fun toddler apps.  He seems to enjoy the music the best, so we even have a baby jukebox,  Wheels on the Bus, and other songs.  And, even though it had moved, Jonah still went straight to PBS Kids!