Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Walking, Climbing and Bouncing

Jonah's walking has also come a long way.  He can walk across a room, but only when he wants to.  He can also stoop down to pick something up and get back to standing without pulling up on anything.  Wow.

Jonah has pretty much mastered climbing up the stairs at playgrounds.  He can get up onto a platform up to his waist height, with a lot of cute pulling, kicking and muscling.  He's even working on getting down on his belly and swinging his legs out behind him to go back down!  I still follow him everywhere at the playground, which I noticed are typically labeled for ages 2-12.  So I asked the parents of a few toddlers.  It seems that 18mo. is about the time that they let their kids loose and watched from the sidelines.  So maybe next spring I won't be crawling through tunnels to keep Jonah from falling down a climber or slide!  What a shame.  ;-)

Jonah is becoming far more of a swinging kid.  We return to the swings over and over on a single trip to the park.  Still, I think his favorite playground equipment are the bouncers.  We've seen a few varieties - the single animal/bike on a spring, the redesigned see-saws that bounce, and a 4-person hybrid (horses at the ends of two perpendicular see-saws joined at a central spring).  Like when he was younger, Jonah lights up only at a certain frequency and magnitude.  It's worth finding his sweet spot, because that kind of excited expression is rare for him (takes after Daddy!).